We love to organise historical fiction events. Many of our members travel thousands of miles to attend.
Historical fiction conferences
There are writing conferences. And history conferences. But we combine the two in our Historical Novel Society Conferences, open to historical fiction readers, writers, and publishers.
These unique events take place in the UK, USA, and Australia. The UK and USA conferences happen on alternate years.
It’s a friendly, informal get-together, with many of our delegates making life-long connections. The packed programme can include seminars on publishing, different eras, key note speakers and one-to-ones with agents.
Past speakers include: Fay Weldon, Tracy Chevalier, Ben Kane, and Alison Weir.
Non-members can attend. However, members get early bird notification and discounts. Check out Why join the Historical Novel Society? to find out what’s on offer.
HNS North America Conference
- The 2023 North American Conference was held in San Antonio, Texas from 8 – 11 June 2023 at the Marriott Rivercenter. Sessions were offered in-person, with some virtual components.
- Some session recordings, newsletter sign-up for future conferences, and more are available at the North America Conference website
- The location for the 2025 North American Conference has been announced as Las Vegas, Nevada
HNS Australasia Conference 2023
Speakers included: Melissa Lucashenko, Anna Funder, Judy Nunn, and Tom Keneally
- The HNS Australasia Conference was held 20 – 21 October 2023 at the Southern Sydney Events Centre at Hurstville
- Sessions were offered in-person, with some virtual options. Both in-person and virtual audiences will have on-demand access to the entire program for 3 months after the end of the conference
- HNSA Conference website
HNS UK Conference 2024: From the Author’s Page to Screen and Stage
Confirmed speakers include: Bernard Cornwell, Kate Quinn, Ian Mortimer, S.G. MacLean, and Anna Neima
Curious about historical fiction events near you? There may be an HNS Chapter meeting close by.
These local groups have been set up by enthusiastic Historical Novel Society members. They are locally initiated and run, with very little central supervision. Find out more in local chapters.
From round table discussions to presentations, readings to feedback sessions, they’re a wonderful way to meet other authors and readers.
We’ve many groups across the world including USA and Ireland. Please take a look at HNS Chapter meetings list.