Frequently Asked Questions
This page answers some common questions that our members have. If you have any other questions or feedback, please contact us.
My membership lapsed and I want to renew, but when I click the “join” button, my email already has an existing account…
If you’ve ever been a member, the system already “knows” you (and loves you!), so renewing is a bit different from the initial Join process. To renew, don’t click the Join button. Instead:
- If you are logged in, click the My Account link at the top right of any page. Once you land in the My Account section, at right, you’ll see several options under Manage Your Account, including Subscription and Billing, which you can use to renew your membership.
- If you are not logged in, click Member Login at the top right of any page to log in.
- If you’ve forgotten your username or password so can’t log in, please see below.
Help! I’m a current or former HNS member but I don’t know my username or password…
Don’t worry! Please contact us, and we’ll let you know your username and set a temporary password. You can change this as soon as you’re logged in.
How do I change my password?
- If you’re logged in, click the My Account link at the top right of any page. At right, you’ll see all kinds of options under Manage Your Account. Scroll down to the password section and click Change Password.
- If you are not logged in, click Member Login at the top right of any page, then click on Lost Your Password.
- You now need to enter either your username or your email address. The email address we have for you is most likely the one you used when you paid.
- You will then be sent an email with a link in it.
- Click this link and you will be taken to a page where you can enter a new password.
- If you have any trouble, just contact us. We’ll be happy to either send you a password reset link via email, or set you a temporary password you can use to log in, then you can use the Change Password feature.
How do I update my address or other personal details?
- Log in using the link at the top right of any page, or if you’re already logged in, use the My Account link at the top right.
- At right, you’ll see all kinds of options under Manage Your Account. Scroll down to click on Edit Your Details.
- Enter your new address or other updated information, and click Update.
I updated my address/bio/links/etc. but things still look the same on the site. Why aren’t my changes showing up?
Changes and updates usually appear quickly, but they can take several hours to propagate through the system. If it’s been 24 hours and your changes still don’t appear to have “taken,” please contact us.
How do I appear in the members’ directory?
- You must first log in.
- Now click the My Account link at the top right of any page.
- At right, you’ll see all kinds of options under Manage Your Account. Scroll down to View My Public Profile if you wish to see what appears in the HNS Member Directory on the site.
- To change or update what appears in the Member Directory, click Edit Your Details. Here you can update your biographical information, pen name, etc. You can also tick or untick the box which makes your profile public on the site.
- To change or update the links that appear with your member profile, click Update Your Profile Links. You can now link to your website, Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads.
- We will show your recent tweets, and we will do our best to automatically display latest posts from your website. However this is not always possible, especially if your website does not have an RSS feed.
How do I display my pen name instead of my real name?
- Log in.
- Click the My Account link at the top right of any page.
- Click Edit Your Details
- Enter your pen name and click Update.
- Your pen name will now be used in the members’ directory.