2014 short story award – Competition rules
Historical Novel Society 2014 Short Story Award
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE RULES THOROUGHLY BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR STORY
- Your story can be in any genre of historical fiction. For the purpose of these rules, historical fiction shall mean fiction set in the main at least fifty years ago.
- To qualify your story must be within 1000 and 5000 words.
- The closing date for submissions is 1 April 2014.
- Submissions may be made online only, via our submission form. All documents must be double spaced in Word with each page numbered in sequential order.
- Your story will be judged anonymously, so do not put your name or pseudonym anywhere on any document other than the submission form.
- No alterations may be made following submission.
- Anyone may enter, regardless of age or nationality and whether or not previously published. Posthumous entries are not acceptable.
- Stories should be in English and should not have been published or accepted for publication anywhere in the World.
- Stories that have been self-published in print or digitally are ineligible.
- Any story entered must be your own original work and not a translation of another author’s work.
- This Award shall not be open to anyone involved in its organization or judging or their families.
How to enter
- Entries can be received online only via this page, and entrants must follow the instructions on our submissions form carefully.
- The entry fee of $15 ($5 for members of the Historical Novel Society) allows you to enter one story. You may enter as many stories as you like, provided each story is accompanied by the entry fee.
- Entry fees must be in US dollars. If you bank in another currency, PayPal will convert your fee automatically into US dollars.
- Stories will be assessed in the first instance by a panel of experienced readers and reviewers for the Historical Novel Society. The assessment will be moderated by the Chairman of the Society, Richard Lee.
- From the initial submissions a longlist of 10 or more stories will be selected for announcement in May 2014. These stories will subsequently be released as an ebook by the Historical Novel Society.
- The winner will be chosen from the longlist by three international top judges, and the result declared on 1st August 2014 (delayed from 1st July).
- The prize for the Award will be $2000 plus e-publication by the Historical Novel Society
- By submitting a story you consent to its digital publication by the HNS should your story win or be longlisted for the Award.
- The winning authors will be bound by the terms of a publishing contract for e-publication of the stories with the HNS.
- Under the terms of the contract, the winning authors will grant full digital World rights in their stories to the HNS for 5 years, as well as the right to make editorial changes to the content in consultation with the author.
- All those longlisted will be given a copy of the contract and asked to acknowledge that they have read and accepted its terms before being considered as contenders for winning the Award.
Application of rules
- Failure to comply with any of these rules will render an entry liable to disqualification. The decision of the Award organizers as to the interpretation and application of these rules shall be final.