Some HF events for April (UK)
April 7, 2013
New this year is the Summerhall Historical Fiction Festival in Edinburgh, 12th -15th April 2013. Chaired by Allan Massie and with Iain Gale as director, the festival aims to discuss older historical fiction (eg Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Sir Walter Scott) as well as contemporary writers in the genre.
Speakers include Andrew Williams, Celia Rees and Sara Sheridan.
At the Stratford Literary Festival, 25th April 2013 there is a creative writing workshop on historical fiction with Rory Clements, Marina Florato and Michael Arnold. Other stars at the festival include Sebastian Faulks (23rd April) and Michael Morpurgo (5th May). Calendar is here.
On 27th April is the first HNS Meet the Historians event in Bristol.
Meanwhile, online from 12-15th April there is an international online spring book fair for historical novelists, with 38 authors, featuring several society members.
Early heads up for big hf events in the UK this year: mark in your diaries 13th-16th June for the Borders Book Festival 2013 (featuring the Walter Scott Prize), and on 20th and 21st July, History Live 2013 (featuring author talks organised by the Historical Writers’ Association).
Of course, outside the UK, THE event of the year (we modestly believe) is the HNS North American conference, 21st-23rd June 2013, in St Petersburg, Florida.
Posted by Richard Lee
- Young Quills Historical Fiction Awards 2013
- Volunteers needed – planning the 2015 US conference
- Walter Scott Prize Masterclass Series 2013
- Meet the Historians 2 – Bristol’s Maritime History
- Looking for a new UK Membership secretary
- Edward Rutherfurd’s new book Paris: ‘as grand and engrossing’ as the city itself.
- Roman Empire: Power and People
- £25,000 Walter Scott prize shortlist announced